Companies implementing a next-generation wireless tablet-based Shop Floor Control (SFC) solution most often realize a quick payback just by considering the “minutes saved” throughout their cut & sew operations. Of course, other cost-saving benefits such as massive efficiency gains will also contribute to the full Return on Investment (ROI) picture. In part one of this series, I will focus solely on the most obvious time savings that next-generation SFC can yield in a single 8-hour shift.
- Scanning QR codes vs legacy barcodes
- Scanning a QR code is a much more efficient process than scanning barcodes. This can save up to 1 minute per operator/shift.
- Visual communications vs alphanumeric display
- Workers have the ability to look at and interact with the “content rich” display on a tablet without having to key special commands or codes; saving another 7 ½ minutes.
- Paperless travelers
- Large, visual displays can also display a PDF file/traveler to improve communications and reduce errors for all workers and saves 5 minutes.
- Clocking in at the operator’s workstation vs waiting in the time clock queue
- This saves between 4 – 6 minutes per operator.
- Clocking in using QR codes vs NFC or Biometrics
- This saves 10 to 15 seconds or .25 minutes per operator.
- Email notifications for machine downtime
- Automatic email notifications to alert mechanics to machine downtime gets problems solved faster, saving approximately 4 minutes per operator.
- Email notifications for other off-standard events
- Automatic email notification to supervisors for off-standard approvals saves 3 minutes per operator.
These time savings alone give each operator an additional 25.75 minutes of productive time per operator.
For a 100 operator shop, that is an additional 2,575 minutes gained each day!
As you can see, a significant part of these savings come from the use of a wireless tablet system. But that’s only part of what makes next-gen SFC so great for your business. In my next article I’ll review the efficiencies gained by implementing such a solution and leave you with a simple, easy to understand ROI model for your new shop floor control solution.